Community Programs Coordinator
Olive’s Porch is a new, grant-funded community engagement initiative located in downtown Murphy. The Community Programs Coordinator will work collaboratively with the Special Programs Manager and the Community Programs Manager to develop and manage Olive’s Porch and off-site community programs in traditional Appalachian craft and culture education for local audiences. They will help to ensure the success of community engagement programs and ensure that they are aligned with the Folk School’s mission and values. The position will report directly to the Community Programs Manager. This is a full-time, hourly, and benefits-eligible position. Hours may include a variety of shifts including day shift, evening shift, holidays, and weekends.
• Provide support for day-to-day operations of community engagement initiatives and outreach efforts.
• Assist with the development and scheduling of programs, events, and exhibits.
• Organize, implement, and execute programs.
• Provide leadership, coordination, and management for initiatives in collaboration with the Community Programs Manager.
• Interact with a wide range of personalities while pursuing community relationships.
• Perform retail duties including merchandising, helping customers, and managing inventory.
• Assist with instructor, staff, and student communications.
• Participate with Community Advisory Committee communications and meetings.
• Open and close the space as needed, including daily opening/closing duties. Maintain welcoming and clean retail and exhibit space.
• Attend to daily operational needs as they arise.
• Provide administrative assistance to support the accomplishment of program objectives.
• Track and manage community participation.
• Participate in the creation and maintenance of appropriate community partnerships.
• Coordinate the distribution and collection of program evaluations.
• Assist in documentation and reporting for grant purposes.
• Monitor enrollment.
• Coordinate volunteers.
• Distribute and collect artist and instructor contracts.
• Collaboratively develop inventory procedures.
• Monitor Olive’s Porch email box.
• Assist with purchasing and accounting paperwork as needed.
Mobile Outreach/ Off-site Programs
• Coordinate day-to-day operations at various locations.
• Coordinate tools, equipment, and materials for outreach programs.
• Assist with communications with partner organizations and instructors for outreach programs.
Education and Experience Requirements
• A BA/BFA in Art or a related field is recommended.
• Knowledge of local and regional Appalachian history and culture is a strong asset.
• Familiarity with traditional and contemporary craft, music, and dance is highly preferred.
• Diplomacy skills and the ability to forge and sustain community relationships.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Experience as an educator is a plus, with a demonstrated ability to develop programming.
• Ability to work with Microsoft Office and other basic computer software.
The position requires the employee to be able to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, and have use of fine and gross motor skills. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to speak clearly and effectively. Ability to work standing for at least 8 hours a day and lift up to 50 pounds. Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
Please submit the following materials by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by USPS to:
Human Resources Manager
John C. Campbell Folk School
One Folk School Road
Brasstown, NC 28902
1. Interest statement that details your relevant experience and knowledge/skills
3. Contact Information for three professional references
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
John C. Campbell Folk School is an EEO Employer. EEO employers are committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.